MN-Duluth
From Max Wirth Druggist Duluth Minn.
{small}
C4076S4-51
Listed as alumni of School of Pharmacy, University of Illinois:
William Herman Buchholtz, Ph. G., Pharmacist with Max Wirth, 13 W. Superior Street, Duluth, Minnesota -
Summer Class of 1887
John Turge, Ph. G., Pharmacist with Max Wirth, 13 W. Superior Street, Duluth, Minnesota - Summer Class of
1889
Adolph George Wirth, Ph. G., Pharmacist with Max Wirth, 13 W. Superior Street, Duluth, Minnesota - Class of
1902.
1880 Federal Census
Max Wirth is listed as a Clerk in Dakota County, Third Ward of Hastings, Minnesota. He gave his age at the
time as 26 years of age. He was born in Germany. Living with him were his wife Louise (25) (Germany), a son
Max H. (3) (New York), a son Adolph Geo (1) (Minnesota), a sister Louise (22) (Germany), and a brother
Charles (25) (Germany).
1900 Federal Census
Max Wirth is listed as a Druggist in St. Louis County, Third Ward of Duluth, Minnesota. He gave his age at
the time as 47 years of age. He was born July 1853 in Bavaria, Germany. He emigrated to this country in
1871, and became a naturalized citizen in 1876. Living with him was his wife of 24 years Louise H. (46)
(Germany), a son Adolf (21), a son George (16) (Minnesota), and a daughter Pansy (13) (Minnesota).
1910 Federal Census
Max Wirth is listed as a Druggist / Drug Store in St. Louis County, Third Ward of Duluth, Minnesota. He gave
his age at the time as 54 years of age. Living with him on West Superior Street were his wife of 34 years
Louise (53), a son Adolph (31) (listed as a Clerk / Drug Store), a son George (25) (listed as Clerk / Drug
Store), and a daughter Pansy (22).
1920 Federal Census
Max N. Wirth is listed as Owner / Drug Store in St. Louis County, Duluth, Minnesota. He gave his age at the
time as 66 years of age. Living with him on East Fourth Street were a son Adolph G. (40) (listed as Part
Owner / Drug Store), and a son George C. (36) (listed as Part Owner / Drug Store).

From the Internet:
She also found, buried deep into the cliff dropping toward the big lake, an old medicine bottle, its raised
letters identifying it as Fletcher's Castoria, a laxative for kids. Other lettering indicated the bottle was from
Max Wirth's Pharmacy, which dates back to 1886, when Wirth's brother, a respected St. Paul architect,
designed the Richardsonian Romanesque Revival brownstone at 13 W. Superior St. that served as one of
Duluth's first pharmacies. The Wirth Building remains on the National Register of Historic Places.
HISTORY OF MINNESOTA DRUGGISTS PART 2 - this is by Digger Odell, and is probably copyrighted, so
should not be used without his permission. I think it is OK to use information gleaned from what he writes,
but do not copy it as written - especially if you are planning eventual publication yourself.