Liggett's
Boston, Massachusetts
In 1902, Louis K. Liggett persuaded 40 druggists to invest in a drug company that would manufacture and distribute products in
franchised stores. In 1903, the United Drug Company (UDC) began operations at 43 Leon Street, now known Meserve Hall at
Northeastern University {Boston, Mass.} The stores and products were known by the name "
Rexall," for "king of all." By 1929, UDC
had 21 manufacturing plants throughout the United States. It employed over 25,000 workers, supplied 10,000 Rexall Drug Stores,
and operated a chain of over 500 Liggett Drug Stores in the United States. In 1944, Liggett stepped down. Justin Dart, the new
president, renamed UDC the Rexall Drug Co. and moved the headquarters to Los Angeles. In the 1930s, UDC built six buildings on
its Boston campus that housed its corporate offices and manufacturing and research facilities. Northeastern University
purchased the buildings from United Realty in 1961. One of the six buildings is now divided into four sections: Lake Hall, Meserve
Hall, Nightingale Hall, and Holmes Hall. Three other buildings on the block were eventually demolished.

The Owl Drug Company put out several products in milk glass bottles and jars. Richard E. Miller established the company in 1892,
at 1128 Market St. in San Francisco. It was at 80 and 82 Geary St. after the 1906 earthquake, and also in Los Angeles, Sacramento,
and Oakland. Eventually the company went nationwide, and in 1919, affiliated with Rexall. The Owl Drug Co. went out of business in
the early 1930's
Riker's Drug Stores U.S.A.
B
Liggett's Dose Measuring Spoon
C6021
Boston, Massachusetts
Liggett's dose measuring medicine spoon                                                               
Inscriptions:                                                                                   
Top of handle:                                                                              
2 Teaspoons =1 Desert Spoon
4 Teaspoons=1 Tablespoon
Inside bowl:2 Concentric circles
To Outside Line One Correct Teaspoon
To Inside Line Correct Half Teaspoon
Bottom Of Handle:
Liggetts Dose Measuring Medicine Spoon
Liggett'sBoston, Massachusetts
1902, Louis K. Liggett persuaded 40 druggists to invest in a drug company that would manufacture and distribute products in
franchised stores.
1903, the United Drug Company (UDC) began operations at 43 Leon Street, now known Meserve Hall at
Northeastern University {Boston, Mass.} The stores and products were known by the name "Rexall," for "king of all."
By 1929, UDC had 21 manufacturing plants throughout the United States. It employed over 25,000 workers, supplied 10,000 Rexall
Drug Stores, and
operated a chain of over 500 Liggett Drug Stores in the United States.
1944, Liggett stepped down. Justin Dart, the new president,
renamed UDC the Rexall Drug Co. and moved the headquarters to Los Angeles. In the 1930s
Organize New Liggett Co.
Will Take Over 152 Drug Stores, Including Riker-Hegerman.
Organization of the new L.K. Liggett Co., operating the Riker-Hrgerman, Riker-Jaynes and the Liggett Drug stores in the United
States and Canada, has been completed with these officers.
George M. Gales, President; John S. Alley, Vice President; William C, Watt, Vice President; R.B. Wattley, Treasurer; Henry R.
Andrews, Secretary; R.H. Haas, Auditor; Directors, L.K. Liggett, F.L. Tompkins, R.B. Wattley, W.J. Rush, H.R. Andrews, J.A. Crane,
George H. Gales, John S.Alley, William C. Watt.
The new L.K. Liggett Company will operate stores in New York, Boston, and all other leading cities from Bangor to Detroit. The
Riker-Hrgeman and Riker Jaynes stores number 107 and the Liggett stores forty-five; the total of 152 stores making it the largest
retail drug association in America. The Liggett Compamy is owned by the United Drug Company of Boston, at the head of which is
Louis K. Liggett. The United Drug Company in turn is owned and controlled by 7,000 retail druggists throughout the United States
and Canada, now operating the “ Rexall Stores”              
The New York Times: Published February 17, 1916
Owl Drug Company 1892-1930's
1892 Richard E. Miller established the company in 1892, at
1128 Market St. in San Francisco. It was at 80 and 82 Geary St. after the 1906 earthquake, and also in Los Angeles, Sacramento,
and
Oakland. Eventually the company went nationwide, and
1919, affiliated with Rexall. The Owl Drug Co. went out of business in the
early 1930's